Milton Damerel logo

Holy Trinity

Milton Damerel Picture 

 

 

 

Milton Damerel Church is a member of the Bradworthy Benefice along with Bradworthy, Sutcombe, Putford, Abbots Bickington and Bulkworthy.

 

THE RECTOR

Rev Richard Freeman, The Rectory, Bradworthy

Tel: 01409 241315                  Email ricktherec@aol.com

 

PARISH CONTACTS

PCC Treasurer Mrs Isabel Fairbrother    Tel: 01409 261181

Sideman Mr Roy Fairbrother                  Tel:  01409 261181

 

SERVICES

Services are usually held 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month.

Please see church notice boards for full Services Rota as services are sometimes subject to change

 

CHURCH VOLUNTEERS

During the summer months, the Volunteers meet twice each month, on the Thursdays before the 1st and 3rd Sundays to support the upkeep of the Church and the Grave Yard, doing cleaning inside and grass cutting and gardening outside, keeping the Milton Damerel Church Yard in good order.   During the winter months, the Volunteers usually meet on the Thursday before the 3rd Sunday of each month. All Volunteer dates are published in the Newsletter.

 

LOCATION

Holy Trinity Church, Milton Damerel (post code EX22 7DL) is located off the A388 Holsworthy to Bideford Road.  From Holsworthy after travelling for about 5 miles and shortly after passing the Milton Damerel sign turn right at the Venn Green crossroad and proceed for a further half a mile. The church is set back from the lane but the Lych Gate and notice board will be seen on the left with another Milton Damerel sign on the green in front.

 

BRIEF HISTORY

The Church is Grade II* listed of late C13th origins and C14th fabric.  It was remodelled in C16th. The tower was destroyed in 1879 and for 20 years the church was in ruins but was restored at the turn of the C20th.  The gabled south porch is C16th or C17th with a slate sundial dated 1808.  The C14th south doorway has a massive medieval studded door with elaborate fleur-de-lys hinges and the remains of the back plate of the Sanctuary Knocker.  Inside the walls are un-plastered, the rood screen and seating are early C20th.  Over the north door is a large plaster Royal Coat of Arms of Charles II dates 1664.  The C17th Pulpit has a freeze depicting ‘green men and beasts’.  There is a C14 piscina in the south wall of the chancel and another simpler piscina in the north chapel.

 

 

Updated June 2017

 

Recent events here